Popular Posts

Friday, June 17, 2011

Water, water, everywhere!

What's better after spending a hot afternoon in the sun than a cold glass of water?  It is amazing how we take good, clean water for granted in the United States.  Most of the world suffers from lack of fresh water... and in most third world countries the majority of your existence is in finding some fresh water.  Especially here in the Midwest, we are truly blessed by the quality and quantity of our water.  It is easy to neglect...

Wow, OK, didn't mean to get into the politics of water or anything (it is my profession though, so I could probably go on and on!).  I just wanted to demonstrate how important it is to us as human beings.  Now, of course, if you know me at all you will quickly guess that my mind translates this to birds and other wildlife.  They depend on water just as much as we do.  They have to fight off dehydration, just like us.  They use it to bathe, just like us.  Cleaning is important to ward off disease and parasites.  Certain species of birds seem to just plain like to splash around in the water more than others!



I would say the #1 question I get asked by people who know I like birds (well after the "what kind of bird is this?" type question) is this: "how do I attract them to my yard?"  Or another variation, "you seem to get a lot of birds in your yard, is there a trick?"  And then I share the biggest "trick" of them all: before you invest in a good  feeder, invest in a good bird bath.  They are easy to maintain, not to mention cheap!  Even after your food runs out, keeping a bird bath clean and stocked will keep the birds coming in.

Now, you might ask, what makes a bird bath "good."  Just about any style bird bath can be used, but some will have more success than others.  Trust me, there are a TON of different styles.  The key to any bird bath is to keep it clean and the water fresh.  Now, before you install a refrigeration unit with Evian water (nice mental image there!), know that birds aren't too picky as long as the water is (a) clean and (b) accessible.

A note about accessibility: deep dish style bird bath isn't very accessible to birds, especially the steep-walled kind, which for some reason, seem to be popular in big box stores.  Bird baths that have multiple levels on the bottom are much better for birds.  The reason? Birds are all different sizes and they don't really like to just "dive" into a pool of water.  They want to wade in, get their legs wet, and then squat the rest of the way in.  Kind of like me trying to swim in Lake Superior a couple of summers ago.  You put out a big dish style feeder, your bound to get mostly big birds, like Blue Jays or Crows.. which are great birds, don't get me wrong, but there are so many smaller birds to get to see up close bathing.  I especially love watching bluebirds (in case you can't tell, almost all of these pictures have bluebirds bathing in them!).

But Lindsay, you cry, all I can find is a big dish feeder!  Or maybe you like the design of a particular feeder, but it still has the big cup style bottom.  Never fear, I have another trick for you!  You can create different levels on the bottom very easily: with rocks.  I guarantee you will get more birds if you try this easy trick.  BTW I love my bird feeder.. and the birds seem to like it too!

There is more to "water" in habitat, such as winter water supply, ponds, etc., but I think this is good start.  I will leave you with one last thought: birds can hear running water from near a mile away (supposedly, I never thought to ask them)... how much better would a water supply be if it had an element of motion (fountain, waterfall, dripper)?



6 comments:

  1. I've really been wanting to get a bird bath. Last weekend I watched a bird play around in one of my planter box trays after I had watered my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a lot of fun to watch, especially if they are close enough to your house to see them easily.. you should get one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so true...we are just about to go to the Dominican Republic to visit my husband's family for a couple of weeks. They are quite poor with no running water (well it runs 2 times a week usually and you collect all you can to use during the week for everything) and we spend a good portion of our vacation dealing with what we take so for granted here.

    Every summer my husband and I talk about the cruel injustice of the world in this regard...as we water our lawn with water that would be better drinking water than his family buys at the corner store...

    Anyway,birds. They ARE so fun to watch splashing about in water! We've been wanting to get one for quite a while. Any suggestions on where to get an inexpensive one in our area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Erin! One way that I personally deal with that injustice is to try to conserve water. I put in two rain barrels this spring that I use for watering purposes. In fact, I use them to fill up my bird feeder and it seems to be working out well. I have iron in my well water, but the rain water doesn't!

    As far as buying locations, I got mine at Lowe's. I can't remember how much but it was decent. I am thinking about purchasing a cheap plastic one for the winter, as my current one doesn't work all that well with the heater I got for it. I think Meijer might have some good low priced ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a heated birdbath that I use in winter and I get so many birds. I also would advise a water wiggler as it keeps down the mosquito population and the birds like the moving water. I have an old-fashioned cement bird bath and I have placed a large flat rock in to make some resting places for the smaller birds. I have to say that robins love it and seem to love bathing the most :)

    I agree regarding your water comments. I would add that it is usually the women and children of the societies that are out gathering water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried a water wiggler, though I've thought about it.. thanks for the suggestion! I never have problems with my water getting mosquitoes; I change it every 2-4 days in the summer due to use and evaporation. I usually take a little scrub brush to it too.

    I've thought about getting a little fountain for the water sound.. perhaps one that has a big dish on bottom for bird bathing and that would fit nicely into a flowerbed.. but I haven't moved forward on that thought yet.

    I get robins, but just as often are the bluebirds that I absolutely LOVE! Maybe its a family trait to bathe often?

    ReplyDelete